Health Care“Any time I have the chance to increase access to health care, especially for children, you can count on me to do it.”
A proven record protecting our health care:
- Susan is deeply committed to ensuring access to health care for all North Carolinians.
- Susan served on the House Select Committee on Health Care, particularly focusing on the subcommittee on Access to Health Care. She voted to renew North Carolina’s commitment to programs such as Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (NC Health Choice), which provide a health insurance safety net for North Carolina’s children.
- Susan believes that it is especially important give children a healthy start by making sure that all children’s health care needs are met. She supported funding for childhood vaccines, early intervention services for children ages 0-3, the Smart Start program, programs to eliminate health disparities, and Community Health Centers.
- Susan helped pass the Schoolchildren’s Health Act protecting children from pesticides, mercury, diesel fumes, arsenic-treated wood, mold and mildew at North Carolina’s public schools. Schools now have common-sense, low-cost, and even cost-saving tools to reduce student and staff exposure to hazardous contaminants in school buildings.
- Susan voted to expand the More at Four pre-kindergarten program, which now serves over 15,000 children in North Carolina.
- Susan helped pass a law providing tax credits for small businesses that provide health insurance for their employees. This is a great example of a innovative solution – creating incentives for employers, giving small businesses some tax relief, and helping working people gain access to health care.
- Before federal Health Care Reform was passed, Susan helped North Carolina create a groundbreaking high risk pool helping people who are considered “uninsurable” gain access to health care.
- Susan believes that health care is not a privilege, but a basic right that is guaranteed to all NC citizens. She co-sponsored a bill in the NC House to recognize the right of all people to health care, and to commit the state to providing a plan to ensure that every resident of North Carolina has access to basic health care on a regular basis.
- Susan supports providing a vital safety net, such as Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (NC Health Choice), and Community Health Centers, and will continue to work to eliminate health disparities.
Alignment of Policy and Politics: Doing What Is Right for Our Adolescents
Susan’s article in the North Carolina Medical Journal